Are Cross-platforms Really The Future of Mobile App Development?
The mobile app development is highly influenced by day-to-day advancement in technology. Like other domains, mobile apps of today are also improving at breakneck speeds to offer the best quality of resources to the clients. The cross-platform methods for mobile app development are best known to give fortified results to the multiple platforms like Android, iOS, Windows and Blackberry as well.
There is a continuous adaptation of utilities in the different platforms available in the mobile industry that gives rise to a completely new application development environment. Keeping this in mind, you can be sure that an optimized app will work fine in the coming years. Cross-platform apps are one such name in the above context.
What are Cross-platform Apps?
The basic motto behind the cross-platform apps is “write once and run anywhere” paradigm. This concept is implemented by writing an application using a codebase and technology that enable it to be distributed and deployed among the multiple devices, platforms and operating systems.
The crucial phase to consider in the above context is the stack architecture and hardware capabilities of the devices running on two separate platforms. HTML5 helps in this process by making the cross-platform app development simpler. This is the reason, why these apps can now be considered as the future of the coming arena.
Why to Choose Cross-platform Mobile Apps!
There are tons of features and benefits that cross-platform app offers-
- Reduced Cost – As these applications can be initiated from a single codebase, it requires a uniform development skillset. A single codebase also results in minimized maintenance cost because there is no need to track large codebase bug.
- Less Technical Issues – The cross-platform apps give the developers an ease to be proficient for the restricted number of technologies. Unlike this, for the native apps, it is mandatory that you learn a separate technology for a new application.Like for say, to have the knowledge of Java for Android applications, Silverlight for Windows and Objective C for iOS applications is practically not feasible.
- Smooth Appearance – You can get the advantage of maintaining the same design and overall look-and-feel across all the diverse platforms. This is because only a single codebase is running, whereas it is tough to synchronize while designing separately for the platforms.
- High Strength – To target a huge audience base, it is advisable to have multiple platforms instead of a single platform to handle the small audience set. There is an assurance to drive more customers and have better engagement with the target people.
- Effective Marketing – Marketing is quite easy as the apps are allowed to be transmitted across multiple media and platforms instead of not being confined to the specific set of masses.
- Wide Reach – With the use of multiple platforms for the apps, it is an added advantage that you will get wider audience base and exposure. It acts as a strong platform for all iOS, Windows and Android users.
- Reusable Code – A single code can be used for multiple places after writing it once. So, you just need to develop a program that can be applied to all platforms where you want to use your app. It can also be utilized at the later stage in bits, whenever required.
- Easy Use of Plugins – It is quite easy to use an array of extensions and modules with several tools and services so that you can easily enhance the app functionality.For this purpose, framework like PhoneGap and Appcelerator can be used wherein the specified plugins can be best used.
- Support to Cloud Services – Few of the mobile app frameworks like Sencha and PhoneGap enable an easy integration of cloud services. It means that the program will automatically work for different platforms you have coded it for when integrated with the cloud services like AWS.
- Easy Resource Availability – It is obvious that the cross-platform development techniques can be understood easily with the basic knowledge of coding and scripts.So, it is not so tough for any business to get such resources who can have all the necessary understanding of their brand requisites.PhoneGap and other tools give the best results when used together with the major applications.
- Fast Compilation – Due to the code simplicity, compilation of cross-platform apps is much easier as compared to the native apps.
- Simple Testing – Testing is quite easy within the cross-platform framework and thus it will take very less time to launch any app.
Some Add-ons That Can Result in a High-quality Cross-platform App:
- Good UX – A relaxing user experience with easy navigation is a must in order to offer the customers with what they actually want to see. With small screen sizes, it is tough to view all the data and required commands.Thus, the best approach is to use most of the screen space so that the important commands and the required information must be available to the user.
- High Performance – In this result-oriented era, response time is the key area to be examined and must be improved as well by putting all the time-consuming operations to the background. Response time will be less, if we reduce the waiting time for the users.
- Easy Interaction – There are multiple things that can be done on mobile devices and a wise approach is to make these applications work together. Enabling interaction can allow application to be used for different purposes, i.e texting, editing docs, browsing content, social networking and likewise.
- Quick Feedback – The best part about the mobile apps is that feedback is readily available in the form of product reviews and blogs. At one end, developers can quickly resolve the issues, while on the other end there is also a scope for the future improvements.
With the pace mobile apps are expanding, there is no exaggeration if some day they will lead the web world by surpassing the niche. There is so much that you can expect from the cross-platform apps beyond superior performance. Utmost ease to use it in multiple application areas, integration with the top mobile app frameworks and sustainable growth are few of the advantages that businesses can get. The above discussion about the cross-platform can help to a great extent in keeping out the common crowd from any dilemma and giving them satisfied results.
This blog has been written by David Meyer who is an experienced web developer at CSSChopper. He also loves writing crispy blog posts related to the cross-platform apps to let people be aware of this exclusive trend.