SEO is search engine optimization and improving your SEO strategy involves the steps that are taken to make sure your site can be found within the search engine’s page when searching for phrases or words that are relevant to the content on your site.
Social media in SEO refers to the concept of social media interaction and links playing an important role in site search rankings. This may sound complex but SEO is basically about optimizing the content on websites, whether on a social media platform or on your own website in order for it to appear in a higher position in search rankings.
Optimizing Social Media Profiles
One of the aspects of a social media profile that is SEO friendly is being as descriptive as you can. You should always fill out the ‘information’ and ‘about’ sections of a social media platform. Use phrases or words that can describe your business as well as the terms that people would use while searching for your business.
For instance, when optimizing a Facebook page for a local search, it is crucial to include your zip code, state, city and address. Links from social channels should be included back to the business site as well as links from the site to social channels.
Optimizing Social Media Updates and Content
Optimize your content on social media by including some relevant search keywords that you have figured out for your business in your social media updates and more. It is important to share content from your blog or website socially in order to boost its SEO element as well.
When new content is shared on Twitter, for example, Google can index it faster. This refers to Google adding the URL to the database. Using the name of your business in social posts helps search engines associate the descriptive keywords for your business with your business name.
Building Links with Shareable Content
Link building is among the key elements of search engine optimization. This simply means good relationships between websites through links. Having more quality websites that link to your site or inbound links and links to other quality sites or outbound links means that search engines will perceive your site as more authoritative. More authority leads to a better ranking on search engine results pages.
- Retweets, repins, comments and likes all add to the weight of your links. Creating content that people want to share help you create more quality links to your site.
- Content is not restricted to something as involving as a blog post. It can refer to Facebook posts or tweets as well. Posting content that is engaging improves the value of your SEO.
- One of the advanced approaches to increasing shares is the addition of social share buttons to pages of content on your blog or website.
Some of the common mistakes that you need to avoid include the following:
- If something seems to be an easy and fast way to improve your SEO, it is more likely to be an unethical tactic and search engines frown upon these types of techniques and those who implement them can be penalized.
- Duplicating content from other websites. While your resources and time may be limited as a business owner, duplicates are despised by search engines such as Google.
- Uploading images to social media with meaningless or generic file names.
- Images that have meaningful names can help to improve your rank.
- Not using the name of your business as your Twitter or Facebook name.
- Making the social media sites for your business private. Click here for the best marketing podcasts.
Improving SEO usually takes time, and changes on search engine results pages do not happen overnight. You should always be descriptive and update your information. Instead of being obsessed about SEO, business owners should strive to provide a great experience for customers as the business will benefit through organic marketing and word of mouth.
Reasons to Enhance your Social Media Strategy
SEO is about becoming more visible and increasing the number of people who visit your site organically. Social media marketing maximizes on social networks and being found by the right people.
- SEO and social media marketing may look different but they have similar goals and can work well together.
- Search engines have become more social as social networks turn into resourceful search engines.
- A solid SEO strategy is necessary for an effective social media plan since they both go hand in hand.
Indexing Social Media Content
Publishing the right type of content on social media regularly can have a significant impact on your content marketing campaign. Things get better when your social media post are crawled and indexed by search engines. The post or tweet you make has to be relevant enough for people to find when they look for similar content.
Social media can also help the content on your website get indexed faster. A blog post that gets attention on social media ends up getting within the index faster. The search factor makes it easier for search engines spiders to find this type of content. The effect of a viral post on social media can be seen on SERPs.
The authority of a website is given a lot of weight by search engines, which makes it an SEO factor that is worth focusing on.
- According to search engines, a domain or page that has high value also has high authority align with a better chance of ranking above websites that do not have strong authority. Website or webpage authority grows over time. As you continue to publish quality content and relevant backlinks increase, authority grows.
- Publishing valuable content gives the audience what they’re searching for. A large amount of content on the internet is distributed through social media. This means your authority or influence on social media platforms can directly affect how authoritative you are.
- An engaged network of followers on social media gives your content more places to live.
Social media boosts SEO by getting more quality links, building a strong following or audience, increasing branded searches and determining what your audience actually wants. The steps that you take to improve social media marketing should be aligned with SEO to prevent you from losing traffic on any of the sides.